Friday, September 28, 2012

San Lorenzo Ruiz: A Thousand Lives, All for Christ

http://mmdelrosario.hubpages.com/hub/saint-lorenzo-ruiz

As I was reflecting today on the Feast of the first Filipino saint, San Lorenzo Ruiz (who will soon be joined by Blessed Pedro Calungsod who will be canonized on October 21, 2012), I came across the song "Sanlibong Buhay" by Bukas Palad (http://youtu.be/h0ZilfCpMIQ). This song was inspired by the words he uttered in response to his tormentor who asked if he would renounce his faith if he was allowed to live: "That I shall never do, because I am a Christian and I shall die for God, and for Him I will give many thousands of lives if I had them. And so do with me as you will please."

Sanlibo man aking buhay,
bawat isa'y iaalay
sa Diyos at bayan kong mahal,
'sasanggalang inyong dangal.
Isugo Mo kahit saan,
hamakin man ako't saktan.
Dalangin ko'y maging tapat.
Pag-ibig Mo ay sasapat.

Sanlibo man aking buhay,
sanlibo ring iaalay.
Sanlibo kong kamatayan,
sa palad Mo ilalaan.


Going through the lyrics of the song made me ask myself if I would be willing to lay down my life for the Lord. My initial response was "Yes" maybe because it was easy to say "Yes" immediately and not think of what will come with my saying "Yes". But as I reflected further, I found myself coming face to face with the realization that it's not as easy as I thought it would be especially living in the world we are in today. So many distractions, temptations, second bests that come our way make it a constant struggle to be true and committed to our relationship with the Lord.

Yet, I have hope that I will be able to commit myself to my Lord each day because of San Lorenzo Ruiz's example of an ordinary person with extraordinary faith. That is, relying on his love for His Lord and the grace and strength that came from the Lord to withstand even the temptation of the gift of life if he just renounced his faith. It is my prayer that I, too, may be able to offer myself "as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God because this is my true and proper worship." (Romans 12: 1b)

On his feast day, let us be encouraged and inspired by San Lorenzo Ruiz's example of unwavering faith in the midst of adverse situations that we may find ourselves facing and his dedication and great love for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good day! Hope you've been inspired and/or encouraged by the blog post. Would appreciate your comments/feedback so I can continue improving this blog. Thanks and God bless!