Saturday, July 14, 2012

Teaching - A Gift not just a Duty


To be honest, there have been times when going to class has been difficult. Especially when you're not sure if the students appreciate all your efforts in accompanying them in their learning adventure. Or if they even want to learn when they feel that your subject is either boring or not value - adding enough to merit lots of their time and effort. But those times get way overshadowed by the times when you see students enthusiastic about your class or when they say that they're having fun while learning a lot at the same time (even when the subject matter may not really be that exciting at face value).

You can find yourself saying "Should I still exert so much effort?" after another dull and blah class session where you had the hardest time getting students to respond. Or you can find yourself humming and saying "What's the next installment to this fun and exciting class adventure?". Whatever response you'll have, for me, one thing's very sure and I definitely agree with Albert Einstein here. Regardless of the response, I should always approach my being a teacher as an opportunity to give of myself and whatever I can to be able to contribute to the learning journey of my students whether they recognize it at the onset or perhaps belatedly.





Teaching should never be a chore that you want to get over and done with. If you love to teach and you are passionate about teaching and open to learning from your students, then each and every class session becomes an opportunity to give and receive. Just as a gift can always be rejected, there will be those times when you'll feel that the effort is so much yet you don't get any response. For me, that shouldn't stop you from continuing to give. Honestly, if I stopped the first or, even second, time I felt so drained from giving my all in a class session yet leaving the classroom unappreciated, I wouldn't have experienced 17 years (and counting) of an adventure like no other, filled with many ups and downs, yet, at the end of the day, filled with anticipation on what the Lord has in store for me the following day.

I am confident that, whether or not I end up with a Gawad Chanselor para sa Natatanging Guro or UP's Top Favorite Professor or any other teaching award, I have received so much more by experiencing what one of my former students, Jon Bantigue, said as part of his birthday greeting for me: Sir Manny, thank you for being a great and caring mentor and friend! Always cherish the fact that you are loved by many!

Yes, Jon! That is what gives me inspiration as I go through each day, whether the classroom experience was great or not so great.

Here's looking forward to many more opportunities to give of myself, what I am and what I have through teaching! :-D

8 comments:

  1. Sir, students might not say this all the time, pero I think they really appreciate the extra mile you go to impart knowledge to all of us. I may not be one of your students but I can say that as a CBA-er, we all appreciate your guiding hand on making sure that our collegiate experience is fully maximized... In behalf of everyone sir, thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wes for your appreciation and support! I am truly blessed!

      Delete
  2. it's good to know that teachers like you perceive your career as a gift, not just a sole duty or obligation.
    keep up bro! i am encouraged to also do my part as an instructor. God bless :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love teaching too. It's one of the activities where I get the most satisfaction from especially when I get a chance to teach the youth of our church. Somehow in the back of my mind I know that I am making a difference in somebody's life and that is more than enough for me.

    Keep it up sir (the blog posts and giving of yourself).

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like music, life expresses its own dynamics in the ups and downs of our situation. Maybe the reason why you can appreciate being appreciated is because you have experienced "not being appreciated" and "seemingly not being able to connect", etc. But overall, the effect is positive. Marami pa ring may paborito sa inyo, sir. :) Just keep on giving your best. Your chosen vocation is like a commitment to our creator, to express what the creator has taught you, so that others may also experience Him through your teaching. More power to you, sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene for the appreciation and encouragement! I know that I will never be able to please every student I encounter in my class but just to be able to make a difference in the learning journey of even just one student is worth all that I put into teaching! :-D

      Delete
  5. Sir, I don't always sit in classes...
    but when I do, it's because I really enjoy the way the prof handles the class :)

    It has been a great honor for me to have you as my professor.
    May the Lord bless you more and keep you strong everyday! And may He give you more ideas for your wonderful blog!

    God bless, sir! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, I sometimes think that students are not interested in learning. :( But in every class there is always one or more students who make teaching worthwhile. They are the ones who actually listen, ask intelligent questions and complete the requirements without you having to run after them. (Yes, I run after those other students who do not even bother to come to class or submit assignments. It's easy these days because they have email, twitter accounts and cellphones! Other teachers would just give them a failing grade!)
    It takes just one student who really learns from you to encourage you to teach again and again! And you know you did the right thing when your students become professionals, executives in companies, members of government and, best of all, teachers themselves!

    ReplyDelete

Good day! Hope you've been inspired and/or encouraged by the blog post. Would appreciate your comments/feedback so I can continue improving this blog. Thanks and God bless!