Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First Being, Then Doing

Leadership is first being, then doing. Everything the leader does reflects what he or she is. Warren Bennis

I'd probably tweak this a little bit to focus on Servant Leadership. I believe that a servant leader should focus first on the relationships s/he has with the people s/he leads and/or serves because by getting to know who s/he leads and/or serves better, a servant leader is able to get a clearer picture of what to do to be able to lead and/or serve them more effectively.


I think this also works for my being a teacher and how I approach my classes. I've always believed in getting to know my students better so that I am able to teach them more effectively and, at the same time, give myself the opportunity to learn from them as well throughout the class journey. 

One of my students wrote a comment in our BA 105 attendance sheet yesterday: 'Sir, you're so enthusiastic! :-D'  This was an upbuilding feedback for me and it gives me more motivation to continue being enthusiastic in the way I teach my BA 105 class. Hopefully, this enthusiasm will rub off on my 56 students!

Here's to more opportunities to cultivate our servant leadership perspectives through growing more in being so that doing becomes so much more than just that! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good day! Hope you've been inspired and/or encouraged by the blog post. Would appreciate your comments/feedback so I can continue improving this blog. Thanks and God bless!